I was a bit overwhelmed at the idea of committing to Blogmas (a blog every day leading up to Christmas! Great to read, but intimidating to follow through with) but I thought that a countdown, the week before Christmas would/could be achievable *THIS DID NOT HAPPEN... Christmas in NYC took over*.
I've never done a 'tag' before... BUT those of you who know me will know that this time of year makes me feel all the warm and fuzzies, so when I saw NevNYC's Christmas tag, I thought I would join in on the fun and amp up the festivities.
For those of you who don't know what a tag is, it's essentially a Q&A on a certain theme: this one? CHRISTMAS.
1. What is your favorite Christmas film? - I love settling down to watch a Christmas film, but I have so many that are favs for different reasons and it’s mostly about who I watch them with. I’m doing a post on this later in the week with a good old Top Ten list, so keep your eyes peeled.
2. Have you ever had a white Christmas? - I was going to say no, BUT, I think I might have... When I was 14 I believe we had a sprinkling of white one Christmas. My friend, Chloe, used to live down the road from me and I seem to remember a thin dusting of snow falling over our childhood homes on Christmas day, with me running down the hill while Chloe ran up it, to be in that moment together… I’m pretty sure that was Christmas day, but I could be wrong, my memory likes to add details to stories to make them better. I’m feeling more confident on the white Christmas front this year – New York has had snow twice in the last week, so fingers crossed we get some magic on the 25th.
3. Where do you usually spend your holidays? - For years, Ted and I spent Christmas with our families and commandeered a day in the lead up to Christmas as our own Christmas day, but last year, having been together for 8 years, we stayed together in our Newcastle home and saw our families in the week after Christmas. It was strange but so wonderful to have it together. This year, we live in New York, so will be spending it here - FaceTime will be making an appearance to make sure we’ve had a dose of family festivities, though.
4. What is your favorite Christmas song? - Again, I have many favs and a post will be appearing soon. However, this year, one that hasn’t left my mind for too long is the She & Him (Zooey Deschanel) version of I’ll be home for Christmas. This classic has never made my list before, but this year it really resonates with me. I’ll be home for Christmas, if only in my dreams.
5. Do you open any presents on Christmas Eve? - Not anymore, but when I was younger (about 5 years old I think…) Mum and Dad would let us open presents before Midnight Mass and they would always be adorable new winter coats with a matching hat, gloves and scarf set. And I would wear them as we walked down the hill to our local church and I would feel like the little girl from A Miracle on 34th Street.
6. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer off the top of your head? - I only just read Luke’s list so you’d think I would remember… Donner, Dasher, Prancer, Blitzen… the others kind of rhyme with them? I think I’d just be making them up from here – other than Rudolph, of course.
7. What holiday traditions are you most looking forward to this year? - I think I’m most looking forward to creating new traditions. It’s our first Christmas in New York, so I’ve loved doing as much as I can with the festivities. In New York, it’s more about walking around to experience everything. My first snow here was pretty spectacular and I wish that we could make that into a tradition, but I don't think that the elements will play along.
8. Is your Christmas tree real or artificial? - REAL! And, as we live in a studio apartment, I get to sleep in the same room as my tree. It’s awesome.
9. What is your all time favorite holiday food/sweet treat? - It's mostly it’s about the cheese and biscuits, mulled wine and Stone’s Green Ginger Wine for me (we actually found it in NYC, but it doesn’t quite taste the same).
10. Be honest: Do you like receiving gifts or giving gifts better? - I’m a bit of both. I LOVE it when I receive a gift that is really thoughtful. This year, we received Christmas packages from both sides of the family and it was so special to receive tangible things from home, it definitely marked the moment that we both began to feel more festive. But I also adore finding the perfect gift for the people I love, however, there is a pressure with that, and I can’t always think of what is perfect for them…
11. What would be your dream place to visit during the festive season? - I always loved the idea of New York at Christmas... and it it pretty special but my Dad always wanted to get the whole family together at a ski lodge in Switzerland, and that dream has totally become my own! Maybe when we’re millionaires we’ll treat the whole family!
12. Are you a pro-present wrapper or do you fail miserably? - I blooming adore wrapping Christmas presents! This year we’re doing them all through Amazon though, so I’m not getting the joy, but it's much easier for transatlantic gifting...
13. What made you realize the truth about Santa? - I can’t put it down to a specific moment… and I don’t want to. Santa Claus is a state of mind.
14. Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? Do you stick to them? - Never in an official way, I always half-heartedly think about them and never voice them aloud, therefore not holding myself accountable.
15. What makes the holidays special to you? - For me, it’s all about the feelings of safety, comfort, warmth and love. I reckon Hygge, the Danish concept of coziness, best describes it!